Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shopping takes skill and talent!


Budget Coupons and Storage
At this time Malachi and I both work so our income is more than our expenses (as it should be) and although we are trying to put lots in our savings account (for when we both are not working) and trying to spend money on wise investments (windows) we have found ourselves nickling and diming our money away! A few weeks ago in our marriage class there was a lesson on Budgeting….so we thought we would outline a general budget to try to start getting our (my) spending under a little more control. You see, I tend to buy in excess, I only buy things that are on sale and clearance, so it’s a really good deal however $1.00 X 100 is still $100.00 So we outlines how much money we would spend on various areas per month…its still a little rough but we are working on it!
Then two weeks ago I attended a seminar hosted by my sister-in-law called “Be Centsable” It was on how to use Coupons and sales more effectively. Most of the stuff I was already aware of (since I work at a grocery store) but it made me get organized…I went and bought a little accordion thing to organize my coupons (yes I am that dorky) bought a Sunday paper, went though all my adds, and made a list!
However there is one little catch….I have been a sale/great deal/clearance shopper for a while now so…Since there is only 2 of us we pretty much have everything we need, And we have what you would call a pantry- Not a storage room. So Malachi has been gently reminding me that although he appreciates my attempts to accumulate food storage, we probably have enough food storage to get “just the two of us” by for close to a year, and i could "Chill" a little bit.
So when I went grocery shopping (becuase we were out of stuff) I gathered all my coupons….and make my list, I had to keep in mind how much money total to get us though the month, how cheep each item is, a try to get things that we can use to make a lunch (so we don’t buy lunch) or a quick dinner!

If you want to have a good time try to keep track in your head!
So I got….
A bag of rice cakes
2 bags of Pasta
A box of instant oatmeal
Tortillas
A bag of Kettle Chips
A box of pasta Roni
A Jar of light Mayo
A Bag of Cascade dishwashing packs
2 boxes of Pop tarts
A 24 case of water
A box of Capri suns
English muffins
Two loafs of bread
A 4 pack of pudding
A 6 pack of propel
4 pack Danimals Yogurt
A dozen eggs
Two gallons of milk
A gallon of Chocolate milk
A gallon of Orange juice
Large container of cottage cheese
6 Yo-plait Yogurt
A six pack of lightn’ fit yogurt
2 Half gallons of ice cream
One Digorno pizza
A box of frozen waffles
4 frozen dinners
One pot pie
A box of frozen taquitos
A 5lb bag of chicken breasts
A package of bacon
2 pre-made sandwiches- like lunchables
2 pounds of grapes
A few tomatoes
A fruit cup
A 5lb bag of apples
And a loaf of garlic bread


Guess how much I spent?...I used 23 coupons, and spent $84.55!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Good Work! Gotta love couponing and saving good money. I like that alot of the stuff you bought wasn't junk food! Usually those are the good deals.