Sunday, November 9, 2008

Welfare

Disclaimer: Don’t get the wrong-I completely believe there are times where welfare is important and a great resource. There are times in people’s life where they need a little help and this is a good program to get it, however having said that….

The other day I was listening to the radio and there was a man (a mayor or something) talking about Poverty and how we need to take a walk in their shoes. He (and his town) ate on $5.95 per person, per day for a month. He said this was the average for people with food stamps. I work at a grocery store and I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to watch the irresponsible people that use food stamps. An Albertsons card is FREE, it entitles you to the weekly sales, and there are so many people on food stamps that don’t want an Albertsons card, they don’t buy generic, and don’t really shop sales. There is also “cash” allowance, this is intended for toiletries, and other household things, but it is NOT use for that, people buy Beer, cigarettes, and Tobacco with it, OR they just take it out in cash to pay their rent.

AND, these people often ALSO qualify for WIC (women, infants, children) so their Milk, eggs, cheese, Cereal, and juice is already provided for free!

AND I personally know customers who tell me they have had there food stamps card for 3-4-5- or 6 YEARS, this is NOT what the program is intended for. It is suppose to be a tool- NOT a crutch!

With a little ingenuity and resourcefulness one should be able to shop sales and stretch a food budget of $714.00 (for 4 people for a month) + WIC and not only feed their whole family but also gather some food storage. Use the cash side (I am not sure what the allotment is) to help pay off some of their debts and be back on their feet in NO TIME!

That is my rant… I wish government would listen and cut back this program, it is not helping our poverty rate.

2 comments:

Tyra said...

I agree 100%!!!!!!

and on another note, I LOVE Albies! You guys have the BEST sales, I just rounded up a good addition to my food storage(18 boxes of chicken broth, 10 cake mixes, 10 crackers, 9 mac grill boxed dinners, and cereal!) for $35.......I saved $190!!!!!! I love those deals, when you shop it right, with coupons and save MUCHO!

Elisa said...

I agree 100% The government gives to those who will just USE them and not progress, and those who really NEED the help for a short time, can't seem to get the help because the government is already giving to much to the lazies! Maybe one day they will get it figured out!